It’s the day to love like you’ve never loved, so don your red heart sweaters and go out to the super crowded restaurants with all the other love birds. Oh what’s that you say? You don’t have a significant other and couldn’t find a random stranger to shower you with love? But you do have wine, and lots of it. Instead of drowning your sorrows with large consumptions of Malbec try using it to make something very sexy for yourself. These simple wine poached pears will have panties dropping, even if they are just your own.
What You Need
Bottle of Red Wine
¼ C Sugar
1 t Vanilla or Vanilla Pod
4 not so ripe Pears
Pinch of Cinnamon, Nutmeg, All Spice
What You Do
- Peel and pit the pears. A melon baller is perfect for this task of pitting, but a pointy spoon works too.
- Combine the wine, sugar, and spices in a pot
- Bring wine to a slight simmer and add pears, you may have to do this is batches depending on size of your pot.
- Cook pears until just soft.
- Remove pears and let cool, repeat if necessary
- Once all the pears are cooked reduce the wine sugar down until it becomes thick and syrupy.
- To serve heat pear slightly and pair with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Drizzle with sauce.
These pears take only about 5 minutes of real work, the rest of the time they are just poaching while you can continue to do whatever it is single people do at home on Valentine’s Day (cry, laundry, cry,Netflix, stalk you ex on Facebook). Immediately upon eating your mood will be lifted and your spirit brightened. The pear will make you forget your lack of pair(ing). If you are single stop reading here.
I didn’t want to make the single people jealous, but guess what? These pears are a perfect ending to a meal you make for your significant other too. Sophisticated, slightly sweet, and deep red in color they are sure to impress even the biggest skeptic of your cooking skills.They basically cook themselves so it leaves loads of time for cuddling, meaningless babble, and staring into each other eyes.
However you spend Valentine’s Day I hope you find love or spread love somewhere. I’m sending some to you in my blog. Even more if you make these pears and tag me @chefleen on insta! Thank you for faithfully reading, Happy Valentine’s Day!