As a woman of many talents, I don’t just cook I serve. To make ends meet until I settled on my feet doing what I love I have taken up a meager waiting job in the streets of Harlem. I live to please people all day long and generally enjoy doing it…until today. Today was probably the worst day in my waiting history, literally my top 5 most hated things kept happening over and over. If you have ever been a server you will understand, if you have not please take note.
- I ask you if you are ready to order and you say yes, but then proceed to take 10 minutes of my time while you go back and forth deciding-While I am trying my best to be pleasant with you, I have about 50 million other things as well as other tables to tend to,
- You seat yourself- unless there is a sign that’s says seat yourself DON’T! There is a system
- You don’t tip or tip 10%, save your 10% for Denny’s, actually even at Denny’s that is rather insulting it’s 2013, proper etiquette says 20%, if you can spend 150 on dinner and not put out 30 for a tip you need to stay at home!!
- You ask me how something tastes or how big it is- my taste buds are different then yours, you can ask me if I like something I’ll be glad to answer that, also appetizers are generally smaller entrees and if you are really hungry you should probably splurge on a entrée
- First dates- ladies order what you want, he took you out no need to follow his lead, even worse obviously first dates that pay dutch- grow up, or arguing over who is paying while I just stand there awkwardly waiting for someone to hand me a card
- You tell me how to do my job, you sit at my table order food and drink and then at the end say you have a bar tab and can I just transfer it! What?! No I can’t! That means all the work I just did for you running food, drinks, getting you extra lemons, straws, smiling, pretending like I cared about your long day, laughing at your corny jokes..I just did all that work for NOTHING because your going to tip the bar and not me, the bar doesn’t share their tips with me in fact I share my tips with the bar therefore I am paying someone else for doing their work-UGH! ANNND when I try to say it in a nice way like well not really, you get all huffy and say why are you being difficult. I can’t with these people!
Enough of my rant, but please remember people servers are not your slaves and we are truly doing everything our power to make you happy. It’s not our fault if the kitchen is slow or it started raining in the middle of your meal (you sat outside on a day with 50% thunderstorms). I have steps of service I follow to ensure you have a pleasant dinning experience, if you do nothing else please jus heed these rules. Yes you are paying for service, but it’s really hard for me to do my job to the best of my ability when don’t understand these simple rules. Please show your appreciation and your civilized skills when out in public, or at the very least don’t sit at my table.